30 March 2009

ups and downs

The only two ways to describe my day is up and down. When I thought everything was gonna be a load of shit something would happen to turn my mood around and I was happy as hell. But that never lasted long because something else would come around and fuck up my happiness. Allow me to demonstrate.

Up

I woke up this morning, ate a good breakfast, even ironed my clothes(something I never do on art days because they just end up getting dirty). I did all my homework and was actually pretty excited to see my drawing teacher. She just has this laugh that makes me smiles, plus she's always popping up when I least expect her, so I stay on my toes.

Down

I get to drawing and I give her my essay we have to do once a month. As soon as I hand it to her she takes this opportunity to make an example out of me. Tells the whole class we have to start turning assignments in on time, that she is going to be more strict, because school is almost over. The only problem is I wasn't in class Friday and when I make a point to tell her this she does that laugh she does and apologizes. Five minutes later I show her my drawing homework.

Our instructions were to take 3 18x24 sheets of drawing paper, divide them into 4 equal squares and use black india ink to draw/paint several nature scenes from one area. Each square should be done in 20 minutes and all together we should have spent around 5 hours on the drawings. So I show her my drawings and immediately she says I did not spend twenty minutes on each drawing. She then takes thi opportunity once again to use me as an example and goes on a tirade about following the homework directions. Because time is running out and she expects more out of us. But the thing is I didi spend 20 minutes on each of my drawings. She knows as well as everyone else in the class that I am a slow worker. For example its been about 5 weeks since we started on our graphite self-portrait and while almost everyone else is finished, I still ave some things on mine to complete. So after calling me a bold face liar I sunk into my cave of depression where I intended on staying for the rest of the day.

Up

The only problem with that is Em was sitting next to me. She saw I wasn't my usual self and began cracking jokes, talking about people, and imitating our drawing teachers' unque laugh. Soon enough I was doing the same and I coulldn't stop laughing. This continued until 1:25 when I made it to my color & composition class.

Down

If you've been reading lately you should know that I finally got an answer from Al or where I stood. Basically even if Al was single I wouldn't have a great chance of becoming his next boyfriend, and after him avoiding be Friday I only expected things to be worse in class. As soon as he walked in the room and didn't speak to me it kinda hit me. Damn, this is really over. It was finally real and for a few seconds I thought about getting up and leaving class. For some reason I just felt uncomfortable.

Up

That uncomfortable feeling lasted for most of the class, but then someting happened. One of our classmates is obsessed with the Spice Girls and since it was her birthday we were listening to some of their classic songs. I don't know how it happened, but she did something unusual and we both saw it. I looked at him, he looked at me and we kinda gave each other that "whats up/whats your problem" glare from across the room. I looked away and when I looked back our eyes met again, but this time the look faded and he started smiling so I smiled back and I then knew nothing had changed. We were still friends and everything else was just bullshit. He's a guy, I'm a guy and we shouldn't let emotions get in the way of the great friendship we have. We even had a quick conversation during class and we walked together as we usually do after class was over.

Down

After color comp I figured nothing else would get me down, but boy was I wrong. Around 10 o'clcok I'm in my bed just got finished watching a disappointing episode of Heroes and in walks my roommate. I flipped to VH1 and see that For the Love of Ray J is coming on. Damn am I excited, because this is the episode Brandy is gonna be on and I'm kinda a huge Brandy fan. Not as big as a Britney fan, but Brandy's my number 2.

So the episode is on for about 5/10 minutes. The roomie gets out of bed and turns off my tv. Doesn't ask me just turns it off. So me being the nice guy I am, I politely turn it back on. I guess that was the wrong thing for me to do, because he slowly turns around and I end up in some wacko conversation with him.

Are we going to have a problem?

With me watching tv?

Yea.

No.

So we're cutting it off.

But.....I'm kinda watching tv.

So we're going to have a problem.

With me watching tv?

You know what I can't do this anymore. I've just had it. I've reached my breaking point. Gobble, gobble, gobble. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. A lot of pacing. A few expletives. A slamed door. A knock at the door because he doesn't have his keys. Huffing and puffing. ANother slammed door. And five minutes later he returns with the RA.

Me and the RA have a five minute conversation, we catch up on each others lives, we ask about the bothers, and then there's this annoying tooth sucking thats heard from the other side of the room and the RA remembers he's suppose to be addressing a problem.

I honestly still don't know exactly what happend in this little meeting we had, and the only conclusion I can come up with is I'm not allowed to ever watch tv in my dorm room since my roommate hates leaving to go study. And being that the only thing he ever does in the room is sleep and study and I'm nice enough to cut off the tv when he's sleeping I guess I won't be able to ever watch tv again in the room.

Because the RA was nice enough to point out that we have tv lounges on every floor and a plasma screen in the basement. But I kinda have a plasma in my room. One that I worked hard for at your local McDonalds to buy myself. So what was the point of me even buying the plasma if I can't watch it in my room?

Maybe I should start putting those headphones I bought to good use. Maybe now the roomie won't cut off my tv even when I have those on.

6 comments:

Aek said...

Wow, a bunch of ups and downs. Such days are rough.

When I lived in the dorms, I had a roommate who had the TV on ALL THE TIME. It was annoying to me, and at the time I didn't like going elsewhere to study. I just asked him to turn it down, as I usually didn't care much. And I also liked a "change in scenery" every now and then, so I'm not in my room for too long. I also had headphones that worked pretty well at blocking out the TV when listening to music.

Your roommate needs a chill pill if he's going to complain to the RA over this. I bet you'll be happy when the semester's over. :P

Cash said...

Dude, Fuck em! That's bullshit. You both have rights to that room. You are allowed just as much tv time as he is allowed quiet study time. Don't give in to that shit.

a.b. said...

- I have never liked the idea of art teachers. Who are they to tell you that your art is wrong? I mean, if some teacher told their students not to drip paint onto the canvas, there wouldn't be Jackson Pollock, right? Take their instructions and make them fit you; Seriously, who said their was an instruction manual on art anyway?

- Glad to hear you and Al are still chill. At least you still got the friendship.

- I'm glad I lived off campus in college. I wouldn't know how to deal with a roommate like that... Good luck with that though. ;)

J said...

yeah, im pretty happy with how things turned out between me and Al he was a great guy to have a ffirst crush on and it could've ended a lot worse.

and yeah the roomie situation is crazy, but like my RA said we only have four more weeks together, then I get to go back home for two and come back on the last day of finals and take an Art History final.

inundated soul said...

i think you are too nice cause i would have flat out told my roomie that yes we going to have a big problem and i would have told the RA to suck the deep recesses of my.... anyways i can understand if he asks you to turn down your tv but its in your room and that should be your lil refuge. if he has issues he can buy ear plugs to drown out the noise dont turn off your tv just make sure its not too loud because you have to be accomodating but dont be bending over backwards for ppl! cause your roomie seems to think he is most important and its his way or the highway! ERROR!!!

Windy City Sex blog said...

I wouldn't have a problem with my roommate asking me to turn down the tv once in awhile BUT I would have cut the fool if he thought he could just turn it on and off. And I would have left his sorry ass pounding on the door, not my problem you're a fool. Nor my responsibility. Would have been a good time for the old headphones. And the RA would have heard quite a bit more. You are too nice.