14 December 2008

one year

One year ago to this day I got accepted to college(early decision). I remember that day well. I stayed up until 12, because the decision would be available to me then. Me and my friend IV, we both stayed up. 12 o'clock came and neither of us had decisions available. You can't imagine how mad I was, so I went to sleep and when I awoke that afternoon my decision was there.

I saw the fireworks and it said that I was accepted. I was officially a dawg, but nothing flickered inside. I was relieved more than anything. It was the only college I applied to, and based on whether I got accepted or not would determine, in my mind atleast, whether I would go to college or decide to follow my dreams.

College for me was never a priority. When I was younger I always said I wanted to attend Georgia, but as I grew older that thought faded and others replaced it. So when I got accepted my decision was made. I'm going to go to college and live up to everyone's expectations, yay me. I guess disappointing everyone in my life wouldn't have been a good thing to do anyway.

After seeing the fireworks I called my mom, who was on her way to work, to tell her the news. She started screaming and then turned to crying. For the first time, in a long time I really felt like she was proud of me for me and it surprised me. We hung up and I shed a tear. My life was turning around for a change.

School was the same thing. Everyone seemed genuinely happy for me, and they even announced it over the intercom. Yet I couldn't help but feel kinda bad. IV didn't get accepted, he didn't get to see the fireworks, he was deferred and would have to complete part II of the application and wait til' the spring to find out his fate. IV wanted it more than me and I think my nonchalant attitude might have offended him a bit, so I did what I usually did. Made a racial slur to Lush about me only getting accepted because I was black and they had a quota to meet. I laughed, she laughed, IV laughed, but our teacher didn't.

She gave me that face she gives me and I understood what she meant. I got accepted because of my abilities, she knew that and I knew that, but I didn't want anyone else to know. I didn't even feel out to ethnicity portion of the application so I guess for the first time in a long time I knew I wasn't being judged by the color of my skin. I was being judged by what lied beneath.

I'm glad I applied to Georgia, and I'm happy I got accepted. It made me grow. It got me away from becoming apart of the trap that is my hometown. I'm going to do something. I am going somewhere in life. I'm going to make a change and take the world by storm. Give me five years and I promise you INEBRIATED will be everywhere.

3 comments:

E said...

Five years is quite a deadline. My cousin is in Law School @ Ga. I went to visit and fell in love with Athens. It makes me mad to think that I didn't apply there. I had more than sufficient scores to get in...:(

I used to downplay my abilities in high school because everyone hates a know-it-all. It's strange cause they were just fine with copying off me though.

J said...

Yea they do hate a know it all but they love to copy off your papers a lot. And yea I love it here in Athens, its not to big but not that small. The perfect place for me to start the revolution. lol.

Aek said...

I've realized that my "abilities" aren't all that. It's kind of an ego-buster to go from the top 10 kids in your class to just "average" in a bunch of classes, because there are so many smart people all around you.

But in the process, I've discovered other useful abilities. :D