30 June 2009

true believers

religion is a tough thing for me. i was raised to believe in God. i was also raised to be Christian. but somewhere around the age of eleven there was a disconnect. i started noticing my surroundings and there were littlethings that didn't feel right. things that didn't seem to be "christian" so i stopped going to church.

i'm at the stage where i'm starting to ask questions. and seek out the answers.

i had a two hour discussion with a european guy today about religion and god. i just wish i could sit down with a preacher or someone to just ask some questions, because some things just don't sit right with me. there are aspects of the Christian faith that make me...uncomfortable.

"are you a believer" he asked.

"in what?"

"in god"

" i don't know really," i relpied. "i'm at this point where i'm starting to ask questions."

"this universe is not running by itself, so it has to be god."

"okay...maybe buddha's running it."

he then proceded to laugh out loud before he gave a smug reply of "i think its a little bigger than buddha," and continued his laughing.

"i'm being serious, there are so many religions in the world does that mean that your religion is the only real one. if so does that mean that the rest of the world is doomed to hell?"

" i think so" he said, and i sat in silence for a few seconds.

and this is why i have a problem with religion. the fact that there are billions of people in the world that don't believe in god. they believe in their own religion and their own god, whomever or whatever it may be. that these people could be the most loving and giving people in the universe, with their only fault being their religion. and because they believe in something or someone else, they're doomed to spend an eternity in pain.

this just doesn't sit well with me. it makes me uncomfortable.

currently listening to Disarm by the Smashing Pumpkins

6 comments:

Rox said...

Word man word.

Aek said...

Like you, I never understood why God would condemn nice decent people to Hell for their disbelief. If "He" wished for everyone to be united under one religious banner, it would be easy.

I read this somewhere, and it was an interesting analogy. Think of people being on the rim of a wheel. There are spokes that connect the rim of this wheel to a single center. Let each spoke be a religion or belief and the center is God (or whatever divinity is).

That sits better with me.

J said...

that also sits better with me

Randy said...

Religion is nonsense... Creates nothing but bigotry, hatred, and self righteousness. An atheist want a hospital built instead of a church, and atheist wants a deed to be done instead of a prayer. An atheist is a true humanitarian who doesnt rely on bronze age beliefs to propel him through a life of morality, an atheist is moral for morality's sake, not for fear of post life punishment. We need to talk in detail about religion, w/o me joking all the time.

J said...

i'd really like that

FUCK NO said...

Hello. Like you, I was taught to be christian. I was born being a christian, though I never really felt love towards God, so two years ago I stopped 'believing'. This year I learned to listen because God is talking with us every second of our lives. I did and I realized it was true. I then truly started to believe in God, and I love God now. I think its different for everyone the way we realize God is really there. Most people believe it cuz they're just told that way, but that doesn't mean they truly believe it.

I at one point asked myself the same question. I thought 'I was born in this religion cuz of my parents, and they have taught me that this is THE religion. Are all the other people doomed?'
I thought a lot. I then talked about that with a nun from my school. She told me that its true, some people are just born in their religion, but all religions believe in a god, or many, and that they should be thankful for their lives to them. That if people are faithful to their religion, they are living life the christian way.